Child Abuse Prevention Month
The month of April is dedicated to raising awareness about the importance of communities working together to strengthen families to prevent child abuse and neglect.
CASA for Douglas County is committed to inspiring community members to use the power of their voices to advocate for the best interests of children and to equip children and families with the tools and resources they need to thrive. In fiscal year 2020-2021, 7,096 Nebraska children and youth were in out-of-home care because of abuse or neglect. How will YOU use your voice to take a stand against child abuse and neglect? Here are some suggestions to get started:
Become an advocate
- Learn more about CASA's mission and consider volunteering as a Court Appointed Special Advocate.
Show your support
- Join people on social media across the Metro on Friday, April 8, 2022 for #WearBlueDay. Wear something blue, take a selfie, and create a social media post using the hashtags #WearBlueDay, #ChildAbusePreventionMonth, and #BeTheVoice - and don't forget to tag CASA for Douglas County. Missed April 8th? Any day in April can be #WearBlueDay! Put on some blue and show your support.
- Visit one of our partner coffee shops during April Take a selfie with your coffee cup and create a social media post using the hashtag #BeTheVoice. Don't forget to tag CASA for Douglas County and the coffee shop! You can also pick up information about CASA at these locations.
- Print out the pinwheel coloring sheet provided below, get creative, and jot down how you will use your voice this month. Take a selfie and share it on social media. Don't forget to tag us!
- Caring adults can do plenty of small things each day to help kids enjoy safe, healthy, and happy lives. Download the April Activity Calendar below for suggestions each day of the month.
Look through the resources provided by the Children's Bureau of the United States Department of Health & Human Services on the National Child Abuse Prevention Month website, Prevent Child Abuse America, and Bring Up Nebraska.
Have any questions? Contact Jordan Fletcher, Recruitment Coordinator, at email@example.com or 402-932-5683, ext. 117.